Melissa Yadao, M.D.
Orthopedic SurgeonContact Us >
Dr. Melissa Yadao is a board certified orthopedic surgeon with sports medicine fellowship training. Her practice specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of sports injuries but also includes general orthopedics. Her surgical expertise is reconstructive and arthroscopic (minimally-invasive) procedures of the shoulder, knee, elbow and hip.
A native of Alexandria, VA, Dr. Yadao attended St. Agnes School. She graduated from Harvard University in Cambridge, MA where she studied art history and played field hockey. After college, she taught A-level art history and coached various sports at Bryanston Public School in England. Dr. Yadao returned to the U.S. and completed medical school and orthopedic surgery residency at the Medical College of Virginia (MCV) in Richmond, VA. She subsequently completed a sports medicine and arthroscopy fellowship at the Mississippi Sports Medicine & Orthopedic Center in Jackson, Mississippi. She has been in the Washington, DC area since 2003.
Dr. Yadao continues teaching through her busy sports medicine practice. She is the team physician for West Potomac High School, TC Williams High School, Hayfield High School and a consultant for Edison High School. She also joins Dr. Saddler as team physician for the Potomac Nationals baseball team, the minor league A-level affiliate of the Washington Nationals. She gives talks on various orthopedic topics throughout the community.
- Undergraduate: Harvard University
- Medical School: Virginia Commonwealth University
Internship & Residency
- Virginia Commonwealth University, Residency in Orthopedic Surgery
- Virginia Commonwealth University, Internship in General Surgery
- Mississippi Sports Medicine & Orthopaedic Center, Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Licenses & Boards
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy Fellowship – Mississippi Sports Medicine & Orthopedic Center – Jackson, Mississippi
Achievements & Associations
- President of the Washington Orthopedic Society
- Team physician for West Potomac H.S.
- Team physician for TC Williams H.S.
- Team physician for Hayfield H.S.
- Consultant for Edison H.S.
- Team physician for the Potomac Nationals baseball team (minor league A-level affiliate of the Washington Nationals)