Richard Layfield, M.D.
Orthopedic SurgeonContact Us >
A native of the Washington D.C. area, Dr. Layfield was raised in Silver Spring, Maryland. He received his undergraduate degree in biology at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee. Dr. Layfield then attended the University of South Florida College of Medicine in Tampa, Florida, where he was elected to the membership of the Alpha Omega Alpha medical honor society. He completed his orthopedic training at the University of Illinois College of Medicine in Chicago, and was chosen as Chief Resident during his fifth and final year of training. Dr. Layfield then chose to complete a fellowship to further his knowledge in the care of athletes, sports medicine, and arthroscopic procedures. He spent a year at The Orthopedic Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota where he worked closely with the athletes and the athletic trainers of the Minnesota Vikings, Minnesota Twins, Minnesota Timberwolves, and Minnesota Wild.
- Undergraduate: Vanderbilt University
- Medical School: University of South Florida
Internship & Residency
- University of Illinois College of Medicine, Chicago, IL
- The Orthopedic Center, Minneapolis, MN
Licenses & Boards
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (Orthopaedic Surgery)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine